Re: plpgsql - additional extra checks

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plpgsql - additional extra checks
Date: 2017-01-11 14:08:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> 1. strict_multi_assignment - checks the number of target variables and
> source values.

I've proposed this before (maybe around a year ago), except the checks were
done at parse time, rather than runtime. I much prefer that approach. If
I recall correctly, the patch was considered to be good, but not good
enough since it didn't handle all contexts (perhaps FOR loop were missing,
or something; I forget).

> 2. too_many_rows - checks if returned rows is more than one

I've also proposed this, and it was rejected because it was a runtime
check, and some people don't like runtime checks.

.m