Re: BUG #14830: Missed NOTIFications, PostgreSQL 9.1.24

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #14830: Missed NOTIFications, PostgreSQL 9.1.24
Date: 2017-10-10 12:39:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

So I managed to accidentally kill and/or restart both servers while trying
to install debug symbols, but I'm doing a new run now and I noticed
something interesting: the listening backend's RecentXmin doesn't seem to
ever go forward. By my reading of this code, that would mean trouble for
this piece of code in TransactionIdIsInProgress:

if (TransactionIdPrecedes(xid, RecentXmin))
return false;

Is this not an obvious bug? async.c would think the transaction is not
running, and did not commit -> throw away the notification. That would
also explain why it takes days for this to happen (since we need to run
through enough xids to wrap around).

.m