Re: documentation structure

From: Roberto Mello <roberto(dot)mello(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation structure
Date: 2024-03-18 19:06:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 10:12 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I was looking at the documentation index this morning[1], and I can't
> help feeling like there are some parts of it that are over-emphasized
> and some parts that are under-emphasized. I'm not sure what we can do
> about this exactly, but I thought it worth writing an email and seeing
> what other people think.

I agree, and my usage patterns of the docs are similar.

As the project progresses and more features are added and tacked on to
existing docs, things can get
murky or buried. I imagine that web access and search logs could paint a
picture of documentation usage.

I don't know what other people's experience is, but for me, wanting to
> know what a command does or what a setting does is extremely common.
> Therefore, I think these chapters are disproportionately important and
> should be emphasized more. In the case of the GUC reference, one idea

+1

I have is to split up "III. Server Administration". My proposal is
> that we divide it into three sections. The first would be called "III.
> Server Installation" and would cover chapters 16 (installation from
> binaries) through 19 (server setup and operation). The second would be
> called "IV. Server Configuration" -- so every section that's currently
> a subsection of "server configuration" would become a top-level

chapter. The third division would be "V. Server Administration," and
> would cover the current chapters 21-33. This is probably far from

I like all of those.

> I don't know what to do about "I. SQL commands". It's obviously
> impractical to promote that to a top-level section, because it's got a
> zillion sub-pages which I don't think we want in the top-level
> documentation index. But having it as one of several unnumbered
> chapters interposed between 51 and 52 doesn't seem great either.

I think it'd be easier to read if current "VI. Reference" came right after
"Server Administration",
ahead of "Client Interfaces" and "Server Programming", which are of
interest to a much smaller
subset of users.

Also if the subchapters were numbered like the rest of them. I don't think
the roman numerals are
particularly helpful.

The stuff that I think is over-emphasized is as follows: (a) chapters
> 1-3, the tutorial; (b) chapters 4-6, which are essentially a

Also +1

Thoughts? I realize that this topic is HIGHLY prone to ENDLESS
> bikeshedding, and it's inevitable that not everybody is going to
> agree. But I hope we can agree that it's completely silly that it's
> vastly easier to find the documentation about the backup manifest
> format than it is to find the documentation on CREATE TABLE or
> shared_buffers, and if we can agree on that, then perhaps we can agree
> on some way to make things better.

Impossible to please everyone, but I'm sure we can improve things.

I've contributed to different parts of the docs over the years, and would
be happy
to help with this work.

Roberto