Funny WAL corruption issue

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Funny WAL corruption issue
Date: 2017-08-10 12:09:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi;

I ran into a funny situation today regarding PostgreSQL replication and wal
corruption and wanted to go over what I think happened and what I wonder
about as a possible solution.

Basic information is custom-build PostgreSQL 9.6.3 on Gentoo, on a ~5TB
database with variable load. Master database has two slaves and generates
10-20MB of WAL traffic a second. The data_checksum option is off.

The problem occurred when I attempted to restart the service on the slave
using pg_ctl (I believe the service had been started with sys V init
scripts). On trying to restart, it gave me a nice "Invalid memory
allocation request" error and promptly stopped.

The main logs showed a lot of messages like before the restart:

2017-08-02 11:47:33 UTC LOG: PID 19033 in cancel request did not match any
process

2017-08-02 11:47:33 UTC LOG: PID 19032 in cancel request did not match any
process

2017-08-02 11:47:33 UTC LOG: PID 19024 in cancel request did not match any
process

2017-08-02 11:47:33 UTC LOG: PID 19034 in cancel request did not match any
process

On restart, the following was logged to stderr:

LOG: entering standby mode

LOG: redo starts at 1E39C/8B77B458

LOG: consistent recovery state reached at 1E39C/E1117FF8

FATAL: invalid memory alloc request size 3456458752

LOG: startup process (PID 18167) exited with exit code 1

LOG: terminating any other active server processes

LOG: database system is shut down

After some troubleshooting I found that the wal segment had become corrupt,
I copied the correct one from the master and everything came up to present.

So It seems like somewhere something crashed big time on the back-end and
when we tried to restart, the wal ended in an invalid way.

I am wondering what can be done to prevent these sorts of things from
happening in the future if, for example, a replica dies in the middle of a
wal fsync.
--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito: Hosted Accounting and ERP. Robust and Flexible. No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more