select ... inherits?

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: select ... inherits?
Date: 2013-11-13 08:05:17
Lists: pgsql-general

I came across a query someone posted in the form of:

SELECT *
FROM [table_list]
INHERITS ([table_list]);

Naturally, never having seen this before I consulted the docs and there was
nothing there that I could find. So I ran some tests and the syntax seems
supported.

It seems according to my tests that this does something rather unexpected,
in that it overrides the default column names returned with whatever is in
the inherits list, but only when you have a from clause.

Is this a bug, a feature, or undefined behavior?
--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito: Hosted Accounting and ERP. Robust and Flexible. No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more.shtml