Re: Code of Conduct

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: James Keener <jim(at)jimkeener(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct
Date: 2018-09-18 17:08:09
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 4:35 PM Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 09/18/2018 01:47 PM, James Keener wrote:
> > > following a long consultation process
> >
> > It's not a consultation if any dissenting voice is simply ignored.
> > Don't sugar-coat or politicize it like this -- it was rammed down
> > everyone's throats. That is core's right, but don't act as everyone's
> > opinions and concerns were taken into consideration.
>
> I respectfully disagree.
>
> I'm not sure which dissenting voices you think were ignored, but from
> what I've observed in the various CoC threads the core team took the
> time to respond to all comments. That does not necessarily mean the
> resulting CoC makes everyone happy, but unfortunately that's not quite
> possible. And it does not mean it was not an honest consultation.
>
> IMO the core team did a good job in listening to comments, tweaking the
> wording and/or explaining the reasoning. Kudos to them.

I said I would stand aside my objections after the last point I mentioned
them but I did not feel that my particular objection and concern with
regard to one specific sentence added got much of a hearing. This being
said, it is genuinely hard to sort through the noise and try to reach the
signal. I think the resurgence of the debate about whether we need a code
of conduct made it very difficult to discuss specific objections to
specific wording. So to be honest the breakdown was mutual.

> > There are a good number of folks who are concerned that this CoC is
> > overreaching and is ripe for abuse. Those concerns were always
> > simply, plainly, and purposely ignored.
> No, they were not. There were multiple long discussions about exactly
> these dangers, You may dislike the outcome, but it was not ignored.

Also those of us who had specific, actionable concerns were often drowned
out by the noise. That's deeply unfortunate.

I think those of us who had specific concerns about one specific sentence
that was added were drowned out by those who seemed to be opposed to the
idea of a code of conduct generally.

I would have appreciated at least a reason why the concerns I had about the
fact that the addition a) doesn't cover what it is needs to cover, and b)
will attract complaints that it shouldn't cover was not considered valid.
But I can understand that given the noise-to-signal ratio of the discussion
made such discussion next to impossible.

Again I find that regrettable.

> > > Please take time to read and understand the CoC, which is intended to
> > ensure that PostgreSQL remains an open and enjoyable project for anyone
> > to join and participate in.
> >
> > I sincerely hope so, and that it doesn't become a tool to enforce social
> > ideology like in other groups I've been part of. Especially since this
> > is the main place to come to get help for PostgreSQL and not a social
> club.
> >

> Ultimately, it's a matter of trust that the CoC committee and core team
> apply the CoC in a careful and cautious way. Based on my personal
> experience with most of the people involved in both groups I'm not
> worried about this part.

I would actually go further than you here. The CoC committee *cannot*
apply the CoC in the way that the opponents fear. The fact is, Europe has
anti-discrimination laws regarding social and political ideology (something
the US might want to consider as it would help avoid problems on this list
;-) ). And different continents have different norms on these sorts of
things. Pushing a social ideology via the code of conduct would, I
suspect, result in everything from legal action to large emerging markets
going elsewhere. So I don't think ti is a question of "trust us" but
rather that the community won't let that sort of abuse happen no matter who
is on the CoC committee.

> regards
>
> --
> Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito: Hosted Accounting and ERP. Robust and Flexible. No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more