Re: Does Postgres Object-Relational Syntax follow Standard?

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Will Rutherdale (rutherw)" <rutherw(at)cisco(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Does Postgres Object-Relational Syntax follow Standard?
Date: 2012-10-17 02:37:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Will Rutherdale (rutherw) <
rutherw(at)cisco(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I was having a discussion with people at work about the Postgres
> object-relational syntax. The question came up: does this follow an SQL
> standard? Or is it rather a Postgres-only feature with different RDBMSs
> doing it differently?
>
> I tried some quick checks on Google and Wikipedia but couldn't find clear
> answers. There seem to be different SQL standards (for example SQL 2003,
> SQL 2008), but from what I can see, these don't cover object-relational
> syntax.

Not really. The one area the standard discusses in this area, namely
single inheritance for structured data types, is not supported by
PostgreSQL. As far as I can tell, the SQL 2003 standard followed more or
less the approach Illustra (which began as a Pg fork but had a totally
independent SQL implementation) but limited it to structured data types
only and thus avoided issues like jagged rows (which survive in Informix,
but pose practical programming challenges and therefore have never been
supported on PostgreSQL). The one area that is supported is CREATE TABLE
foo OF TYPE bar; but that's pretty anemic support if you ask me.

In my view, while there are rough edges, the PostgreSQL approach is richer
than the SQL 2003 approach, and I suspect the reason for the lack of SQL
2003 UNDER supertype support is that there hasn't been sufficient demand to
justify implementing it. This isn't a commonly used feature of Oracle or
DB2.....

I would say that while there are some object-relational aspects to SQL
2003, the overlap between those and the PostgreSQL model is non-existent
for practical purposes. I have actually really come to like the PostgreSQL
model.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers