Re: eval function

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>, PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: eval function
Date: 2011-07-28 15:36:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> This function is an absolute no-go if the string literal is coming
> from untrusted source, and any robust defenses would ruin the intended
> effect of the function.  There are a number of nasty ways you can (at
> minimum) DOS your database by allowing arbitrary sql.  For example,
> using generate_series() and advisory_locks you can exhaust lock space.

This is specifically why I would feel extremely uncomfortable exposing
the string literals as function arguments. I don't think you can
generally trust the inputs of general-purpose stored procs.

The thing is if stored proc that might call this is in pl/pgsql, all
you need to do is:

EXECUTE expr INTO myvar;

Or in this case:

DECLARE t_enddate;
t_expr;

BEGIN
SELECT last_date INTO t_expr FROM date_ranges;
EXECUTE $E$ SELECT ('$E$ || t_expr || $E$') $E$ INTO t_enddate;
END;

That's four lines of code extra needed. In PL/Perl or PL/Python, I
think you'd have to create a query and run it. but you could do this
with a module that wouldn't create a stored proc capable of taking
this as the argument.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers