Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Karl Nack <karlnack(at)futurityinc(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases
Date: 2011-07-27 14:19:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Note, we wrote libpqtypes (http://libpqtypes.esilo.com/) precisely to
> deal with this problem -- first class handling of arrays and
> composites in the client.  It's not much help for a perl client, but I
> think similar methodologies can be made for most languages. Sending
> rich data structures directly to procedures in the database transforms
> the way the application/database communications work for the better.
> It's new and weird to many developers, especially those trained on ORM
> usage patterns, but is also entirely effective.

Cool :-)

As I understand it DBD::Pg has excellent handling of both these things
too. The reason we are not doing more with the composite types yet is
because we currently support versions of DBD::Pg which support arrays
well but not the composite types, though that will probably change in
1.4.

I wonder which other languages have first class support for these areas of Pg?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers