Re: Code of Conduct

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: dev(at)psyrium(dot)com(dot)au, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct
Date: 2018-09-20 15:20:55
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 11:31 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 11:24:29AM +1000, Julian Paul wrote:
> > It's overly long and convoluted.
> >
> > "inclusivity" Is a ideologue buzzword of particular individuals that
> offer
> > very little value apart from excessive policing of speech and behaviour
> > assumed to be a problem where none exist.
> >
> > "Personal attacks and negative comments on personal characteristics are
> > unacceptable, and will not be permitted. Examples of personal
> > characteristics include, but are not limited to age, race, national
> origin
> > or ancestry, religion, gender, or sexual orientation."
> >
> > So just leaving it at "Personal attacks" and ending it there won't do
> > obviously. I'm a big advocate of people sorting out there own personal
> > disputes in private but...
> >
> > "further personal attacks (public or *private*);"
> >
> > ...lets assume people don't have the maturity for that and make it all
> > public.
> >
> > "may be considered offensive by fellow members" - Purely subjective and
> > irrelevant to a piece of community software.
>
> You might notice that a bullet list was removed and those example items
> were added 18 months ago:
>

> https://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php?title=Code_of_Conduct&diff=31924&oldid=29402
>
> I realize that putting no examples has its attractions, but some felt
> that having examples would be helpful. I am not a big fan of the
> "protected groups" concept because it is often exploited, which is why
> they are listed more as examples.

I suspect most of us could probably get behind the groups listed in the
antidiscrimination section of the European Charter of Fundamental Rights at
least as a compromise.

Quoting the English version:

"Any discrimination based on any ground such as sex, race, colour, ethnic
or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political
or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth,
disability, age or sexual orientation shall be prohibited."

The inclusion of "political or any other opinion" is a nice addition and
prevents a lot of concern.

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito: Hosted Accounting and ERP. Robust and Flexible. No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more