Re: Basic Question on Point In Time Recovery

From: Robert Inder <robert(at)interactive(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Basic Question on Point In Time Recovery
Date: 2015-03-13 17:34:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12 March 2015 at 12:31, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> 8.4 cannot run queries on the standby, you need to upgrade to a supported/maintained version for this
> (this feature was introduced in 9.0)
>
> In 9.x you can start the slave as a "hot standby" to allow read only queries which is what pg_dump needs.
>
> You should really upgrade to a current version 9.4 or 9.3

Thought you were going to say that:-(

Well, I guess we have to do it some time, and now there is a reason
for it to happen sooner rather than later...

But even if (OK, "though") I'm doing that, Steven's suggestion of
making the dump to a ram file system, then filing it as a separate
step, looks simple enough to be worth trying as a stop-gap...

Robert.

--
Robert Inder,
Interactive Information Ltd, 3, Lauriston Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 9HH