Re: custom postgres launcher for tests

From: "Ivan N(dot) Taranov" <i(dot)taranov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: custom postgres launcher for tests
Date: 2020-03-17 07:38:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If we support a wrapper we should support it for all pg_ctl usage IMO.

As i understand it - you propose to patch pg_ctl.c & regress.c instead of
PostgresNode.pm & regress.c?

This is a deeper invasion to pg_ctl. There will be a conflict between the
environment variable and the pg_ctl -p parameter, and possibly induced
bugs.

I suggest microscopic changes for iterative recompilation/test/debug
without installation.

> For the sake of others with similar needs I attach my current
> wrapper/launcher script. To use it you have to:

IMHO, the method what you proposed (wrapper/launcher) - is more suitable for
complex testing.

I agree that the my proposed way is incomplete.