pg_upgrade as a way of cloning an instance?

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_upgrade as a way of cloning an instance?
Date: 2021-07-07 06:53:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,
someone pointed me out that pg_upgrade can be used to do a clone of
the database, specifying the same binaries such as

pg_upgrade -B /usr/pgsql-13/bin -b /usr/pgsql-13/bin -D /data/clone -d /data/src

I tested it and it seems to work, even if I don't see any point in
running it (and most notably it requires a downtime on the original
cluster).
Any opinion about that?

Thanks,
Luca