Re: Securing records using linux grou permissions

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Gauthier <davegauthierpg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Securing records using linux grou permissions
Date: 2019-10-16 06:26:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 6:07 PM David Gauthier <davegauthierpg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Users are going to be working with data through perl/DBI scripts which currently connect using a generic role with hardcoded password in the connect string. Access will be select/insert/update/delete We need to tighten up security as described above.

I would apply row level security, as already pointed out.
Then, in my Perl scripts, I will force a SET ROLE depending on the
operating system group/user. In such case, you can have still a
"generic" user to use as connection/login, then change the set of
permissions on the fly as connected. Of course, row level security
must be applied against current_role and not session_user.
I would not say this is a robust approach, but can do what you want
(assuming you don't have to change thousands of Perl scripts).

Hope it helps.
Luca