Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daulat Ram <Daulat(dot)Ram(at)exponential(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),
Date: 2019-10-18 08:12:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 7:59 AM Daulat Ram <Daulat(dot)Ram(at)exponential(dot)com> wrote:
> Can you please share some ideas and scenarios how we can do the PITR in case of disaster.

In order to be able to do PITR you need:
- a base backup of your database
- WALs from the backup going on

See <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/continuous-archiving.html>.
Then, to keep it simple, if the disaster happens in the time window
between the backup and the last WAL archiving, you can restore an
instance at any point in time previously the disaster itself.

Luca