Re: Autovacuum on partitioned table

From: yuzuko <yuzukohosoya(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum on partitioned table
Date: 2019-12-27 03:37:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

As Laurenz commented in this thread, I tried adding option
to update parent's statistics during Autovacuum. To do that,
I propose supporting 'autovacuum_enabled' option already
exists on partitioned tables.

In the attached patch, you can use 'autovacuum_enabled' option
on partitioned table as usual, that is, a default value of this option
is true. So if you don't need autovacuum on a partitioned table,
you have to specify the option:
CREATE TABLE p(i int) partition by range(i) with (autovacuum_enabled=0);

I'm not sure but I wonder if a suitable value as a default of
'autovacuum_enabled' for partitioned tables might be false.
Because autovacuum on *partitioned tables* requires scanning
all children to make partitioned tables' statistics.
But if the default value varies according to the relation,
is it confusing? Any thoughts?

--
Best regards,
Yuzuko Hosoya

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2_autovacuum_on_partitioned_table.patch application/octet-stream 11.2 KB