Database Engineer Role at Paperless Post

From: Vanessa Hurst <vanessa(at)paperlesspost(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Database Engineer Role at Paperless Post
Date: 2011-11-07 15:27:11
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Postgres Developers & Fans -

My quickly growing company is looking for more Data experts. Let me know if
you're interested or have any questions!

Paperless Post was founded in 2008 by a brother/sister team, James and
Alexa Hirschfeld (one of Fast Company's "Most Influential Women in Tech
2011"). We specialize in the intersection of technology and visual art,
providing the tools to design graphical, interactive messages that redefine
what stationery can be. We ship features that over 10 million people
interact with, and we are able to focus on quality because our users pay us
directly.

Our open loft headquarters are in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan,
and we have a small second office in San Francisco. We care about pushing
technology to its limits and creating a product that people actually use.
We like to take ownership over our work, solve hard problems, and hang out
with the occasional office dog. We don't like brilliant jerks, endless
meetings, or ads. We're financially backed but also have a strong revenue
model.

We are seeking a Database Engineer to develop creative solutions for
storing and using data in a highly interactive, fast growing web
application. In this role you will solve challenging problems working with
our development and operations teams to protect and improve one of our most
important assets - our data. You’ll use a variety of technologies,
including PostgreSQL, Redis, Sphinx, Memcache, and any others that emerge
as the best tool for the job. You’ll work with meaningful information that
powers a product with which over ten million people interact.
*Responsibilities:*

- Design and evolve data structures throughout our Postgres and Ruby on
Rails application, including use of the ActiveRecord object-relational
mapper
- Build reporting tools and write code to help members of our product
and management team make data-driven decisions
- Maintain and improve data access tools for technical and non-technical
team members
- Work at the intersection of a variety of data storage systems and
applications

*Requirements:*
- Working knowledge of SQL for standard CRUD operations
- Working knowledge of SQL aggregate functions
- Comfort with database execution/explain plans and tuning SQL queries
- Strong interest in database internals and effective algorithms
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Familiarity with Ruby or at least one modern programming or
scripting language
- Experience working with relational databases in a full-time,
product-focused environment

*Bonus:*
- Working knowledge of PostgreSQL internals, e.g. MVCC, statistics
- Working knowledge of SQL aggregates including conditional
aggregates, correlated subqueries, and/or window functions
- Experience with database replication
- Proficiency with Ruby, Javascript, or other server-side web
languages

*To Apply:*Please send your resume and cover letter to
database_engineer(at)paperlesspost(dot)com(dot)

Best,
Vanessa

--
Vanessa Hurst | PaperlessPost.com | 151 W 25th St, New York, NY 10001