Re: path toward faster partition pruning

From: Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: path toward faster partition pruning
Date: 2017-10-23 09:54:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 1:12 PM, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp
> wrote:

> The compiler I have here (gcc (GCC) 6.2.0) didn't complain like that for
> this typedef redefinition introduced by the 0002 patch, but it seems that
> it's not needed anyway, so got rid of that line in the attached updated
> patch.
>
> Fixed one more useless diff in 0002, but no changes in any other patch

Thanks for updated patches, I am able to compile it on head.

While testing this, I got an observation, pruning is not scanning default
partition leading to wrong output. below is test to reproduce this.

create table rp (a int, b varchar) partition by range (a);
create table rp_p1 partition of rp default;
create table rp_p2 partition of rp for values from (1) to (10);
create table rp_p3 partition of rp for values from (10) to (maxvalue);

insert into rp values (-1,'p1');
insert into rp values (1,'p2');
insert into rp values (11,'p3');

postgres=# select tableoid::regclass,* from rp;
tableoid | a | b
----------+----+----
rp_p2 | 1 | p2
rp_p3 | 11 | p3
rp_p1 | -1 | p1
(3 rows)

--with pruning
postgres=# explain (costs off) select * from rp where a <= 1;
QUERY PLAN
--------------------------
Append
-> Seq Scan on rp_p2
Filter: (a <= 1)
(3 rows)

postgres=# select * from rp where a <= 1;
a | b
---+----
1 | p2
(1 row)