Re: Declarative partitioning - another take

From: Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning - another take
Date: 2016-09-08 12:38:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2016/09/07 17:56, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a query regarding list partitioning,
> >
> > For example if I want to store employee data in a table, with "IT" dept
> > employee in emp_p1 partition, "HR" dept employee in emp_p2 partition and
> if
> > employee belongs to other than these two, should come in emp_p3
> partition.
> >
> > In this case not sure how to create partition table. Do we have something
> > like we have UNBOUNDED for range partition or oracle have "DEFAULT" for
> > list partition.
> >
> > create table employee (empid int, dept varchar) partition by list(dept);
> > create table emp_p1 partition of employee for values in ('IT');
> > create table emp_p2 partition of employee for values in ('HR');
> > create table emp_p3 partition of employee for values in (??);
>
> Sorry, no such feature is currently offered. It might be possible to
> offer something like a "default" list partition which accepts values other
> than those specified for other existing partitions. However, that means
> if we add a non-default list partition after a default one has been
> created, the implementation must make sure that it moves any values from
> the default partition that now belong to the newly created partition.
>
> Thanks,
> Amit

Thanks for clarifying, But I could see same problem of moving data when
adding a new non-default partition with unbounded range partition.

For example give here, Initially I have create a partition table test with
test_p3 as unbounded end,
Later tried to change test_p3 to contain 7-9 values only, and adding a new
partition test_p4 contain 10-unbound.

--create partition table and some leafs
CREATE TABLE test (a int, b int) PARTITION BY RANGE(a);
CREATE TABLE test_p1 PARTITION OF test FOR VALUES START (1) END (4);
CREATE TABLE test_p2 PARTITION OF test FOR VALUES START (4) END (7);
CREATE TABLE test_p3 PARTITION OF test FOR VALUES START (7) END UNBOUNDED;

--insert some data
INSERT INTO test SELECT i, i*10 FROM generate_series(1,3) i;
INSERT INTO test SELECT i, i*10 FROM generate_series(4,6) i;
INSERT INTO test SELECT i, i*10 FROM generate_series(7,13) i;

--directly not able to attach test_p4 because of overlap error, hence
detached test_p3 and than attaching test_p4
SELECT tableoid::regclass,* FROM test;
tableoid | a | b
----------+----+-----
test_p1 | 1 | 10
test_p1 | 2 | 20
test_p1 | 3 | 30
test_p2 | 4 | 40
test_p2 | 5 | 50
test_p2 | 6 | 60
test_p3 | 7 | 70
test_p3 | 8 | 80
test_p3 | 9 | 90
test_p3 | 10 | 100
test_p3 | 11 | 110
test_p3 | 12 | 120
test_p3 | 13 | 130
(13 rows)

ALTER TABLE test DETACH PARTITION test_p3;
CREATE TABLE test_p4 (like test);
ALTER TABLE test ATTACH PARTITION test_p4 FOR VALUES start (10) end
UNBOUNDED;

--now can not attach test_p3 because of overlap with test_p4, causing data
loss from main test table.
ALTER TABLE test ATTACH PARTITION test_p3 FOR VALUES start (7) end (10);
ERROR: source table contains a row violating partition bound specification
ALTER TABLE test ATTACH PARTITION test_p3 FOR VALUES start (7) end (13);
ERROR: partition "test_p3" would overlap partition "test_p4"

SELECT tableoid::regclass,* FROM test;
tableoid | a | b
test_p1 | 1 | 10
test_p1 | 2 | 20