Re: In-placre persistance change of a relation

From: Jakub Wartak <jakub(dot)wartak(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: stark(dot)cfm(at)gmail(dot)com, hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi, barwick(at)gmail(dot)com, jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com, pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com, jakub(dot)wartak(at)tomtom(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: In-placre persistance change of a relation
Date: 2023-04-27 12:47:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 9:55 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Rebased.
>
> I fixed some code comments and commit messages. I fixed the wrong
> arrangement of some changes among patches. Most importantly, I fixed
> the a bug based on a wrong assumption that init-fork is not resides on
> shared buffers. Now smgrDoPendingCleanups drops buffer for a init-fork
> to be removed.
>
> The new fourth patch is a temporary fix for recently added code, which
> will soon be no longer needed.

Hi Kyotaro,

I've retested v28 of the patch with everything that came to my mind
(basic tests, --enable-tap-tests, restarts/crashes along adding the
data, checking if there were any files left over and I've checked for
stuff that earlier was causing problems: GiST on geometry[PostGIS]).
The only thing I've not tested this time were the performance runs
done earlier. The patch passed all my very limited tests along with
make check-world. Patch looks good to me on the surface from a
usability point of view. I haven't looked at the code, so the patch
might still need an in-depth review.

Regards,
-Jakub Wartak.