Re: doc: mentioned CREATE+ATTACH PARTITION as an alternative to CREATE TABLE..PARTITION OF

From: Jakub Wartak <jakub(dot)wartak(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, David Rowley <drowley(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: mentioned CREATE+ATTACH PARTITION as an alternative to CREATE TABLE..PARTITION OF
Date: 2023-03-14 14:47:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, I've tested the attached patch by Justin and it applied almost
cleanly to the master, but there was a tiny typo and make
postgres-A4.pdf didn't want to run:
Note that creating a partition using <literal>PARTITION OF<literal>
=> (note lack of closing literal) =>
Note that creating a partition using <literal>PARTITION OF</literal>

Attached is version v0002 that contains this fix. @Justin maybe you
could set the status to Ready for Comitter (
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/42/3790/ ) ?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 10:58 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 04:47:59PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> > I think all of that feedback is useful, I guess the immediate question
> > becomes if Justin wants to try to proceed with his patch implementing
> > the change, or if adjusting the documentation for the current
> > implementation is the right move for now.
>
> The docs change is desirable in any case, since it should be
> backpatched, and any patch to change CREATE..PARTITION OF would be for
> v17+ anyway.
>
> --
> Justin

Attachment Content-Type Size
v0002-Justin-doc_mention_CREATE+ATTACH_PARTITION.patch application/octet-stream 2.4 KB