Re: [HACKERS] Moving relation extension locks out of heavyweight lock manager

From: Mahendra Singh Thalor <mahi6run(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Moving relation extension locks out of heavyweight lock manager
Date: 2020-02-05 20:26:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 at 12:07, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 8:03 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 12:47 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> > > I share another result of performance evaluation between current HEAD
> > > and current HEAD with v13 patch(N_RELEXTLOCK_ENTS = 1024).
> > >
> > > Type of table: normal table, unlogged table
> > > Number of child tables : 16, 64 (all tables are located on the same
tablespace)
> > > Number of clients : 32
> > > Number of trials : 100
> > > Duration: 180 seconds for each trials
> > >
> > > The hardware spec of server is Intel Xeon 2.4GHz (HT 160cores), 256GB
> > > RAM, NVMe SSD 1.5TB.
> > > Each clients load 10kB random data across all partitioned tables.
> > >
> > > Here is the result.
> > >
> > > childs | type | target | avg_tps | diff with HEAD
> > > --------+----------+---------+------------+------------------
> > > 16 | normal | HEAD | 1643.833 |
> > > 16 | normal | Patched | 1619.5404 | 0.985222
> > > 16 | unlogged | HEAD | 9069.3543 |
> > > 16 | unlogged | Patched | 9368.0263 | 1.032932
> > > 64 | normal | HEAD | 1598.698 |
> > > 64 | normal | Patched | 1587.5906 | 0.993052
> > > 64 | unlogged | HEAD | 9629.7315 |
> > > 64 | unlogged | Patched | 10208.2196 | 1.060073
> > > (8 rows)
> > >
> > > For normal tables, loading tps decreased 1% ~ 2% with this patch
> > > whereas it increased 3% ~ 6% for unlogged tables. There were
> > > collisions at 0 ~ 5 relation extension lock slots between 2 relations
> > > in the 64 child tables case but it didn't seem to affect the tps.
> > >

> > AFAIU, this resembles the workload that Andres was worried about. I
> > think we should once run this test in a different environment, but
> > considering this to be correct and repeatable, where do we go with
> > this patch especially when we know it improves many workloads [1] as
> > well. We know that on a pathological case constructed by Mithun [2],
> > this causes regression as well. I am not sure if the test done by
> > Mithun really mimics any real-world workload as he has tested by
> > making N_RELEXTLOCK_ENTS = 1 to hit the worst case.
> >
> > Sawada-San, if you have a script or data for the test done by you,
> > then please share it so that others can also try to reproduce it.
>
> Unfortunately the environment I used for performance verification is
> no longer available.
>
> I agree to run this test in a different environment. I've attached the
> rebased version patch. I'm measuring the performance with/without
> patch, so will share the results.

Thanks Sawada-san for patch.

From last few days, I was reading this thread and was reviewing v13 patch.
To debug and test, I did re-base of v13 patch. I compared my re-based patch
and v14 patch. I think, ordering of header files is not alphabetically in
v14 patch. (I haven't reviewed v14 patch fully because before review, I
wanted to test false sharing). While debugging, I didn't noticed any hang
or lock related issue.

I did some testing to test false sharing(bulk insert, COPY data, bulk
insert into partitions tables). Below is the testing summary.

*Test setup(Bulk insert into partition tables):*
autovacuum=off
shared_buffers=512MB -c max_wal_size=20GB -c checkpoint_timeout=12min

Basically, I created a table with 13 partitions. Using pgbench, I inserted
bulk data. I used below pgbench command:
*./pgbench -c $threads -j $threads -T 180 -f insert1(dot)sql(at)1 -f insert2(dot)sql(at)1
-f insert3(dot)sql(at)1 -f insert4(dot)sql(at)1 postgres*

I took scripts from previews mails and modified. For reference, I am
attaching test scripts. I tested with default 1024 slots(N_RELEXTLOCK_ENTS
= 1024).

*Clients HEAD (tps) With v14 patch (tps)
%change (time: 180s)*
1 92.979796
100.877446 +8.49 %
32 392.881863
388.470622 -1.12 %
56 551.753235
528.018852 -4.30 %
60 648.273767
653.251507 +0.76 %
64 645.975124
671.322140 +3.92 %
66 662.728010 673.399762
+1.61 %
70 647.103183
660.694914 +2.10 %
74 648.824027
676.487622 +4.26 %

From above results, we can see that in most cases, TPS is slightly
increased with v14 patch. I am still testing and will post my results.

I want to test extension lock by blocking use of fsm(use_fsm=false in
code). I think, if we block use of fsm, then load will increase into
extension lock. Is this correct way to test?

Please let me know if you have any specific testing scenario.

--
Thanks and Regards
Mahendra Singh Thalor

Attachment Content-Type Size
create_table.sql application/octet-stream 1000 bytes
insert4.sql application/octet-stream 75 bytes
insert1.sql application/octet-stream 71 bytes
insert2.sql application/octet-stream 74 bytes
insert3.sql application/octet-stream 74 bytes
run_test.sh application/x-sh 755 bytes
start_server.sh application/x-sh 333 bytes