Re: BLOB / CLOB support in PostgreSQL

From: Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BLOB / CLOB support in PostgreSQL
Date: 2020-09-29 00:08:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 5:22 AM Vladimir Sitnikov <
sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> >100% compatible with the MySQL
>
> It is hardly a justification for a feature or for a change request.
>
> Vladimir

Glad to see this topic.

The obviously different opinion for this feature is based on if we need a
"perfect" solution
or a "OK-to-most-user cases" solution.

As for PG core developers, I'm +1 with "pg have their own serious
problems" , and
we are lacking the resources to handle everything well. However, "serious
problems"
to different people may be different.

As a rare experienced Java developer, looks raise "NotImplemented" error
for some
unimplemented APIs will not make the maintenance work hard, that probably
not common
used APIs. Not fully supported API should be better than fully not
supported APIs at all.

As an Oracle DBA before, I do see users need CLOB/BLOB some time but for
most of them,
they just want to save/get big stuff. This case in Oracle may be more
outstanding because of
the max length of varchar2 is too low.

When come to the JDBC standard

JDBC Spec> * All methods on the <code>Clob</code> interface must be fully
implemented if the
JDBC Spec> * JDBC driver supports the data type.

What would be the sense behind this? This is not reasonable based on
limited experience.

To be short, I am supporting Andrew's proposal for now.

--
Best Regards
Andy Fan