Re: Planning counters in pg_stat_statements (using pgss_store)

From: Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, legrand legrand <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Planning counters in pg_stat_statements (using pgss_store)
Date: 2020-05-22 06:02:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 3:17 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 08:49:53AM +0200, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> > On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 4:29 AM Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >> Thanks for the excellent extension. I want to add 5 more fields to
> satisfy the
> >> following requirements.
> >>
> >> int subplan; /* No. of subplan in this query */
> >> int subquery; /* No. of subquery */
> >> int joincnt; /* How many relations are joined */
> >> bool hasagg; /* if we have agg function in this query */
> >> bool hasgroup; /* has group clause */
> >
> > Most of those fields can be computed using the raw sql satements. Why
> > not adding functions like query_has_agg(querytext) to get the
> > information from pgss stored query text instead?
>
> Yeah I personally find concepts related only to the query string
> itself not something that needs to be tied to pg_stat_statements.
> While reading about those five new fields, I am also wondering how
> this stuff would work with CTEs. Particularly, should the hasagg or
> hasgroup flags be set only if the most outer query satisfies a
> condition? What if an inner query satisfies a condition but not an

outer query? Should joincnt just be the sum of all the joins done in
> all queries, including subqueries?

The semantics is for overall query not for most outer query. see codes
like this for example:

query_characters.hasagg |= parse->hasAggs;
query_characters.hasgroup |= parse->groupClause != NIL;

> Most of those fields can be computed using the raw sql satements. Why
> not adding functions like query_has_agg(querytext) to get the
> information from pgss stored query text instead?

That mainly because I don't want to reparse the query again.

--
Best Regards
Andy Fan