Re: language cleanups in code and docs

From: Ashwin Agrawal <ashwinstar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: david(at)pgmasters(dot)net
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: language cleanups in code and docs
Date: 2020-08-20 18:34:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 9:27 AM David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:

> On 6/17/20 12:08 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 4:15 PM Andrew Dunstan
> > <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com <mailto:andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>>
>

> > I'm not sure I like doing s/Black/Block/ here. It reads oddly. There
> are
> > too many other uses of Block in the sources. Forbidden might be a
> better
> > substitution, or Banned maybe. BanList is even less characters than
> > BlackList.
> >
> > I'd be OK with either of those really -- I went with block because it
> > was the easiest one :)
> >
> > Not sure the number of characters is the important part :) Banlist does
> > make sense to me for other reasons though -- it's what it is, isn't it?
> > It bans those oids from being used in the current session -- I don't
> > think there's any struggle to "make that sentence work", which means
> > that seems like the relevant term.
>
> I've seen also seen allowList/denyList as an alternative. I do agree
> that blockList is a bit confusing since we often use block in a very
> different context.

+1 for allowList/denyList as alternative

> I do think it's worth doing -- it's a small round of changes, and it
> > doesn't change anything user-exposed, so the cost for us is basically
> zero.
>
> +1

Agree number of occurrences for whitelist and blacklist are not many, so
cleaning these would be helpful and patches already proposed for it

git grep whitelist | wc -l
10
git grep blacklist | wc -l
40

Thanks a lot for language cleanups. Greenplum, fork of PostgreSQL, wishes
to perform similar cleanups and upstream doing it really helps us
downstream.