Re: [PoC] Non-volatile WAL buffer

From: Ashwin Agrawal <ashwinstar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Takashi Menjo <takashi(dot)menjo(at)gmail(dot)com>, Takashi Menjo <takashi(dot)menjou(dot)vg(at)hco(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Non-volatile WAL buffer
Date: 2020-11-25 01:10:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 5:23 PM Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> I'm not entirely sure whether the "pmemdax" (i.e. unpatched instance
> with WAL on PMEM DAX device) is actually safe, but I included it anyway
> to see what difference is.

I am curious to learn more on this aspect. Kernels have provided support
for "pmemdax" mode so what part is unsafe in stack.

Reading the numbers it seems only at smaller scale modified PostgreSQL is
giving enhanced benefit over unmodified PostgreSQL with "pmemdax". For most
of other cases the numbers are pretty close between these two setups, so
curious to learn, why even modify PostgreSQL if unmodified PostgreSQL can
provide similar benefit with just DAX mode.