Re: API change advice: Passing plan invalidation info from the rewriter into the planner?

From: "Brightwell, Adam" <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Smith <gregsmithpgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)hobby(dot)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)hobby(dot)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)hobby(dot)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Yeb Havinga <yeb(dot)havinga(at)portavita(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: API change advice: Passing plan invalidation info from the rewriter into the planner?
Date: 2014-06-18 01:45:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert,

However, I believe that
> there has been a lack of focus in the development of the patch thus
> far in a couple of key areas - first in terms of articulating how it
> is different from and better than a writeable security barrier view,
> and second on how to manage the security and operational aspects of
> having a feature like this. I think that the discussion subsequent to
> my June 10th email has let to some good discussion on both points,
> which was my intent, but I still think much more time and thought
> needs to be spent on those issues if we are to have a feature which is
> up to our usual standards. I do apologize to anyone who interpreted
> that initial as a pure rant, because it really wasn't intended that
> way. Contrariwise, I hope that the people defending this patch will
> admit that the issues I am raising are real and focus on whether and
> how those concerns can be addressed.

I absolutely appreciate all of the feedback that has been provided. It has
been educational. To your point above, I started putting together a wiki
page, as Stephen has spoken to, that is meant to capture these concerns and
considerations as well as to capture ideas around solutions.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Row_Security_Considerations

This page is obviously not complete, but I think it is a good start.
Hopefully this document will help to continue the conversation and assist
in addressing all the concerns that have been brought to the table. As
well, I hope that this document serves to demonstrate our intent and that
we *are* taking these concerns seriously. I assure you that as one of the
individuals who is working towards the acceptance of this feature/patch, I
am very much concerned about meeting the expected standards of quality and
security.

Thanks,
Adam