Re: Key management with tests

From: Tom Kincaid <tomjohnkincaid(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Key management with tests
Date: 2021-01-18 22:47:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I met with Bruce and Stephen this afternoon to discuss the feedback
we received so far (prior to Robert's note which I haven't fully
digested yet)
on this patch.

Here is what we plan to do:

1) Bruce is going to gather all the details from the Wiki and build a
README for the TDE Key Management patch. In addition, it will include
details about the implementation, the data structures involved and the
locks that are taken and general technical implementation approach.

2) Stephen is going to write up the overall design of TDE.

Between these two patches, we hope to cover what Andres is asking for
and what Robert is asking for in his reply on this thread which I
haven't fully digested yet.

Stephen's documentation patch will also make reference to Neil Chen's
TDE prototype for making use of this Key Management patch to encrypt
and
decrypt heap pages as well as index pages.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA3qoJ=qtO5JcSBjqFDBT9iKUX9XKmC5bXCrd7rysE+XSMEuTg@mail.gmail.com

3) Tom will work to find somebody who will sign up as a reviewer upon
the next submission of this patch. (Somebody who is not an author).

Could we get feedback if this feels like enough to get this patch
(which will include just the Key Management portion of TDE) to a state
where it can be reviewed and assuming the review issues are resolved
with consensus be committed?

--
Thomas John Kincaid