Re: Key management with tests

From: Tom Kincaid <tomjohnkincaid(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Key management with tests
Date: 2021-01-17 00:08:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > I think that's not at all acceptable. I don't mind hashing out details
> > > on calls / off-list, but the design needs to be public, documented, and
> > > reviewable. And if it's something the community can't understand, then
> > > it can't get in. We're going to have to maintain this going forward.
> >
> > OK, so we don't want it. That's fine with me.
>
> That's not what I said...

I think the majority of us believe that it is important we take this
first step towards a solid TDE implementation in PostgreSQL that is
built around the community processes which involves general consensus.

Before this feature falls into the “we will never do it because we
will never build consensus" category and community PostgreSQL
potentially gets locked out of more deployment scenarios that require
this feature I would like to see if I can help with this current
attempt at it. I will share that I am concerned that if the people who
have been involved in this to date can’t get this in, it will never
happen.

Admittedly I am a novice on this topic, and the majority of the
PostgreSQL source code, however I am hopeful enough (those of you who
know me understand that I suffer from eternal optimism) that I am
going to attempt to help.

Is there a design document for a Postgres feature of this size and
scope that people feel would serve as a good example? Alternatively,
is there a design document template that has been successfully used in
the past? I could guess based on things I have observed reading this
list for many years. However, if there is something that those who are
deeply involved in the development effort feel would suffice as an
example of a "good design document" or a "good design template"
sharing it would be greatly appreciated.