Re: Problem during Windows service start

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ramanarayana <raam(dot)soft(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Higuchi, Daisuke" <higuchi(dot)daisuke(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Cc: Laurenz Albe" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Problem during Windows service start
Date: 2019-07-24 06:17:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry in advance for link-breaking message, but the original mail was
too old and gmail doesn't allow me to craft required headers to link
to it.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKm4Xs71Ma8bV1fY6Gfz9Mg3AKmiHuoJNpxeDVF_KTVOKoy1WQ%40mail.gmail.com

> Please find the proposed patch for review. I will attach it to
> commitfest as well

Pacemaker suffers the same thing. We suggest our customers that "start
server alone to perform recovery then start pacemaker if it is
expected to take a long time for recovery so that reaches time out".

I don't think it is good think to let status SERVICE_RUNNING although
it actually is not (yet). I think the right direction here is that, if
pg_ctl returns by timeout, pgwin32_ServiceMain kills the starting
server then report something like "timedout and server was stopped,
please make sure the server not to take a long time to perform
recovery.".

Thougts?

regards.

--