Re: BUG #17193: Issue with pg_output login

From: Gerdan Rezende dos Santos <gerdan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
Cc: Sushant Kamboj <sushant(dot)kamboj(at)getfareye(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Ashish Kumar <ashish(dot)kumar2(at)getfareye(dot)com>, Satyam Chaudhary <satyam(dot)chaudhary(at)getfareye(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #17193: Issue with pg_output login
Date: 2021-09-21 21:09:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 5:47 PM Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2021, at 9:36 AM, Sushant Kamboj wrote:
>
> As we have verified in our environment ,your above statement looks like a
> contradiction since this is working fine when we are using wal2json plugin
> instead of pgoutput .
>
> The main difference is: wal2json uses text output and pgoutput uses binary
> output. I'm not sure if it matters for Debezium.
>
> Since pgoutput is a native plugin, kindly let us know any settings or
> parameter change that we can do to fix this on postgresql or debezium side.
> FYI:We are using postgresql 12.5 RDS
>
> You don't provide enough information for an investigation. You can start
> with a
> reproducible test case.
>

> --
> Euler Taveira
> EDB https://www.enterprisedb.com/

At Debezium documentation at [Debezium connector for PostgreSQL ::
Debezium Documentation
<https://debezium.io/documentation/reference/connectors/postgresql.html>],
we can see:

*Debezium currently supports databases with UTF-8 character encoding only.
With a single byte character encoding, it is not possible to correctly
process strings that contain extended ASCII code characters.*

I believe this is not PostgreSQL BUG, but a *Debezium Limitation.*