Re: identity columns

From: Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: identity columns
Date: 2017-04-13 10:40:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/6/17, Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On 4/6/17, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> As I tried to mention earlier, it is very difficult to implement the IF
>> NOT EXISTS behavior here, because we need to run the commands the create
>> the sequence before we know whether we will need it.
>
> In fact with the function "get_attidentity" it is not so hard. Please,
> find the patch attached.
> I hope it is still possible to get rid of the "ADD GENERATED" syntax.

Hello hackers,

Is it possible to commit the patch from the previous letter?
It was sent before the feature freeze, introduces no new feature (only
syntax change discussed in this thread and not implemented due to lack
of a time of the author) and can be considered as a fix to the
committed patch (similar to the second round in "sequence data type").

--
Best regards,
Vitaly Burovoy