Re: Feature: triggers on materialized views

From: Mitar <mmitar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nguyễn Trần Quốc Vinh <ntquocvinh(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature: triggers on materialized views
Date: 2019-01-05 21:57:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 2:53 AM Nguyễn Trần Quốc Vinh
<ntquocvinh(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> You can try https://github.com/ntqvinh/PgMvIncrementalUpdate to generate triggers in C for incremental updates of matviews.
>
> For asynchronous updates, the tool does generate the triggers for collecting updated/inserted/deleted rows and then the codes for doing incremental updating as well.

Thank you for sharing this. This looks interesting, but I could not
test it myself (not using Windows), so I just read through the code.

Having better updating of materialized views using incremental
approach would really benefit my use case as well. Then triggers being
added through my patch here on materialized view itself could
communicate those changes which were done to the client. If I
understand things correctly, this IVM would benefit the speed of how
quickly we can do refreshes, and also if would allow that we call
refresh on a materialized view for every change on the source tables,
knowing exactly what we have to update in the materialized view.
Really cool. I also see that there was recently more discussion about
IVM on the mailing list. [1]

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20181227215726.4d166b4874f8983a641123f5%40sraoss.co.jp
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/FC784A9F-F599-4DCC-A45D-DBF6FA582D30(at)QQdd(dot)eu

Mitar