Re: Feature: temporary materialized views

From: Mitar <mmitar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature: temporary materialized views
Date: 2018-12-27 18:35:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

Thanks, I did it.

I am attaching a new version of the patch with few more lines added to tests.

I noticed that there is no good summary of the latest patch, so let me
make it here:

So the latest version of the patch adds an option for "temporary"
materialized views. Such materialized views are automatically deleted
at the end of the session. Moreover, it also modifies the materialized
view creation logic so that now if any of the source relations are
temporary, the final materialized view is temporary as well. This now
makes materialized views more aligned with regular views.

Tests test that this really works, that refreshing of such views work,
and that refreshing can also work from a trigger.

Mitar

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 5:15 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2018-Dec-27, Mitar wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I made a new version of the patch. I added tests and changes to the
> > docs and made sure various other aspects of this change for as well. I
> > think this now makes temporary materialized views fully implemented
> > and that in my view patch is complete. If there is anything else to
> > add, please let me know, I do not yet have much experience
> > contributing here. What are next steps? Do I just wait for it to be
> > included into Commitfest? Do I add it there myself?
>
> Yes, please add it yourself to the commitfest.
>
> --
> Álvaro Herrera https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

http://mitar.tnode.com/
https://twitter.com/mitar_m

Attachment Content-Type Size
tempmatviews-v3.patch text/x-patch 12.0 KB