Re: Adding a concept of TEMPORARY TABLESPACE for the use in temp_tablespaces

From: Mitar <mmitar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding a concept of TEMPORARY TABLESPACE for the use in temp_tablespaces
Date: 2019-03-14 07:53:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 2:32 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> I wrote a blog entry about this:
>
> https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2017.html#June_2_2017
>
> This is certainly an area we can improve, but it would require changes
> in several parts of the system to handle cases where the tablespace
> disappears.

Yes, I read the discussion thread you point at the end of your blog
post. [1] This is why I posted an e-mail to the mailing list because
some statements from that thread do not hold anymore. For example, in
the thread it is stated:

"Just pointing the tablespace to non'restart'safe storage will get you
an installation that fails to boot after a restart, since there's a
tree structure that is expected to survive, and when it's not found,
postgres just fails to boot."

This does not seem to be true (anymore?) based on my testing. You get
noise in logs, but installation boots without a problem.

So maybe we are closer to this than we realize?

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20170529185308.GB28209%40momjian.us

Mitar

--
http://mitar.tnode.com/