Re: PATCH: SlickGrid integration in query tool (pgAdmin4)

From: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: SlickGrid integration in query tool (pgAdmin4)
Date: 2016-08-23 10:17:09
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

PFA updated patch & comments inline.

--
Regards,
Murtuza Zabuawala
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 9:16 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
> murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> PFA initial patch for SlickGrid integration in query tool.
>>

> This is looking awesome! I think there are some tweaks to make, but
> performance-wise, it's blowing away the old code. My tests show it's even
> faster than you're seeing; I'm seeing ~3x performance rendering 21K rows
> for example, vs. the first 2K of the same dataset on page 1 with the old
> code - plus, the rendered HTML isn't so huge that it slows everything else
> down to being unusable!
>
> Can you look at the following issues please?
>
> 1) The colour for a selected row should be #eeeeee

Done

> 2) If there's a horizontal scroll bar (in Chrome on OSX, possibly others),
> then it partially eclipses the new blank row in View Data mode. The
> vertical scroll needs to have the height of the horizontal scrollbar added.

This issue needed small code hack in SlickGrid code itself. (Ashesh help me
with issue as all the row sizes were dynamic (in terms of pixels)
& calculated as we display rows on grid canvas, so we can not use CSS/JS to
tweak it)
I have attached separate patch for Slickgrid changes, we have to apply this
patch whenever we update SlickGrid version in future.

3) If the window is resized, the grid doesn't redraw to the new size.

Done

> 4) I cannot leave a Primary Key field blank so that it picks up a default
> value (I get "Primary key columns cannot be null.")

Done

> 5) When editing text fields with multiple lines, the CR/LFs are lost. Do
> we need a custom editor for this (textarea?).

Added custom detached editor [ which supports all keyboard navigation :-) ].

> 6) The tooltips should probably include <pre> tags around the content
> otherwise the formatting is messed up and becomes unreadable.

This is not permitted, Only text to be displayed is allowed, it will not
parse html tags in and show them as is.
Ref: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_global_title.asp

Thanks!