Re: PostgreSQL Limits and lack of documentation about them.

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Limits and lack of documentation about them.
Date: 2018-11-13 08:21:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13 November 2018 at 19:46, John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On 11/8/18, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> On 8 November 2018 at 22:46, Peter Eisentraut
>> <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Could you adjust this to use fewer capital letters, unless they start
>>> sentences or similar?
>>
>> Yeah. Changed in the attached.
>
> Looks good to me. Since there have been no new suggestions for a few
> days, I'll mark it ready for committer.

Thanks for your review. I don't think these initially need to include
100% of the limits. If we stumble on things later that seem worth
including, we'll have a place to write them down.

The only other thing that sprung to my mind was the maximum tables per
query. This is currently limited to 64999, not including double
counting partitioned tables and inheritance parents, but I kinda think
of we feel the need to document it, then we might as well just raise
the limit. It seems a bit arbitrarily set at the moment. I don't see
any reason it couldn't be higher. Although, if it was too high we'd
start hitting things like palloc() size limits on simple_rte_array.
I'm inclined to not bother mentioning it.