Re: [HACKERS] Removing LEFT JOINs in more cases

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Removing LEFT JOINs in more cases
Date: 2018-03-01 21:14:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2 March 2018 at 09:59, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> If a patch hasn't been updated after moved waiting-on-author from the
> last CF, and the next CF started, that seems too late. Particularly in
> the last CF.

I understand that I should have resolved these issues before the
commitfest, so please do what you see fit, but...

One observation is that it appears you're already running damage
control to triage the patches that will certainly not make it. I don't
think this particular patch is overly complex, so is that really a
good thing to do on the first of the month? It's certainly not that
encouraging for patch authors... I'd have imagined encouragement to be
better tactic at this stage, but will defer to your better judgment.

For the patch, it's a weekender patch for me, not related to 2q work.
Time is just harder to find, but I happen to have some this weekend
which I'd really like to dedicate to the patch. If you're willing to
hold fire until Sunday, if I've not done the work before then I'll
personally return it with feedback.