Re: [HACKERS] Re: Improve OR conditions on joined columns (common star schema problem)

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)openscg(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Improve OR conditions on joined columns (common star schema problem)
Date: 2018-04-01 14:54:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30 March 2018 at 15:05, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>> + * To allow join removal to happen, we can't reference the CTID column
>> + * of an otherwise-removable relation.
>
> A brief hint why wouldn't hurt.

Maybe something like:

/*
* Join removal is only ever possible when no columns of the
to-be-removed relation
* are referenced. If we added the CTID here then we could
inadvertently disable join
* removal. We'll need to delay adding the CTID until after join
removal takes place.
*/

(I've not read the code, just the thread)