Re: pg_dump multi VALUES INSERT

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump multi VALUES INSERT
Date: 2019-01-18 11:29:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 at 19:29, Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> this happen because i don't disallow the usage of --inserts and --rows-per-insert
> option together.it should be error out in those case.i correct it in attached patch

I don't think it should be an error. It's not like the two options
conflict. I imagined that you'd need to specify you want --inserts and
optionally could control how many rows per statement that would be put
in those commands. I'd be surprised to be confronted with an error for
asking for that.

It might be worth doing the same as what we do if --column-inserts is
specified without --inserts. In this case we just do:

/* --column-inserts implies --inserts */
if (dopt.column_inserts)
dopt.dump_inserts = 1;

If you do it that way you'll not need to modify the code much from how
I wrote it. We can likely debate if we want --rows-per-insert to imply
--inserts once there's a working patch.