Confusing comment in pg_upgrade in regards to VACUUM FREEZE

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Confusing comment in pg_upgrade in regards to VACUUM FREEZE
Date: 2016-04-18 04:11:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'd been wondering why a VACUUM FREEZE is performed during pg_upgrade,
so I opened up the code to see if that would help me determine why
this is.

I'm confronted with a comment, which states;

/*
* We do freeze after analyze so pg_statistic is also frozen. template0 is
* not frozen here, but data rows were frozen by initdb, and we set its
* datfrozenxid, relfrozenxids, and relminmxid later to match the new xid
* counter later.
*/

this is not helping me much as I don't really understand why
pg_statistic need to be frozen?