Re: Combining Aggregates

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Combining Aggregates
Date: 2016-01-19 21:50:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 20 January 2016 at 05:58, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 4:02 AM, David Rowley
> > <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> >> Now, there has been talk of this previously, on various threads, but I
> don't
> >> believe any final decisions were made on how exactly it should be done.
> At
> >> the moment I plan to make changes as follows:
>
> Oh, one more point: is there any reason why all of this needs to be a
> single (giant) patch? I feel like the handling of internal states
> could be a separate patch from the basic patch to allow partial
> aggregation and aggregate-combining, and that the latter could be
> committed first if we had a reasonably final version of it. That
> seems like it would be easier from a review standpoint, and might
> allow more development to proceed in parallel, too.

I didn't ever really imagine that I'd include any actual new combinefns or
serialfn/deserialfn in this patch. One set has of course now ended up in
there, I can move these off to the test patch for now.

Did you imagine that the first patch in the series would only add the
aggcombinefn column to pg_aggregate and leave the aggserialfn stuff until
later? I thought it seemed better to get the infrastructure committed in
one hit, then add a bunch of new combinefn, serialfn, deserialfns for
existing aggregates in follow-on commits.