Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning
Date: 2018-03-25 05:28:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 24 March 2018 at 16:42, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I've done this in the attached patch against v39.
>
> I also renamed argvalues to argexprs, since they're not values. The
> PartClauseInfo could probably do with the same change too, but I
> didn't touch it.

The attached goes a little further and does a bit more renaming. I
don't think "values" is a good name for a list of Exprs. I'd expect
that might be a better-suited name for an array of Datums.

I've also added and modified a few comments. More comments are still
required. The Step structs are mostly undocumented still, but I'm
trying to understand how all this fits together still, at least well
enough to write about it.

The attached delta applies on top of v39 plus delta1.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v39_drowley_delta2.patch application/octet-stream 9.1 KB