Re: Update does not move row across foreign partitions in v11

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Derek Hans <derek(dot)hans(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Update does not move row across foreign partitions in v11
Date: 2019-03-08 11:21:35
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 at 00:09, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> IMO I think it's better that we also mention that the UPDATE can move
> rows into a foreign partition if the FDW supports it. No?

In my opinion, there's not much need to talk about what the
limitations are not when you're mentioning what the limitations are.
Maybe it would be worth it if the text was slightly unclear on what's
affected, but I thought my version was fairly clear.

If you think that it's still unclear, then I wouldn't object to adding
" There is no such restriction on <command>UPDATE</command> row
movements out of native partitions into foreign ones.". Obviously,
it's got to be clear for everyone, not just the person who wrote it.