Re: Delay locking partitions during INSERT and UPDATE

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Delay locking partitions during INSERT and UPDATE
Date: 2019-02-01 14:16:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 at 03:07, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm now wondering whether the same issues discussed in
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoZN-80143F8OhN8Cn5-uDae5miLYVwMapAuc%2B7%2BZ7pyNg%40mail.gmail.com
> also need discussion with respect to this patch. But I haven't
> thought about it very hard, so I'm not sure whether they do or don't.

I really don't think it does, or if it does then the code is already
broken as it is now.

As the code is today, we obtain the locks well after the plan is
locked in. The only difference with this patch is that we do the
locking on routing tuples to the partition for the first time rather
than do them all at once when setting up the routing data structure.