Re: CONNECTION LIMIT and Parallel Query don't play well together

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CONNECTION LIMIT and Parallel Query don't play well together
Date: 2017-01-29 21:07:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27 January 2017 at 03:53, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Sorry, this had slipped through the cracks -- I'm having a very hard
> time keeping up with the flow of patches and emails. But it looks
> good to me, except that it seems like CountDBBackends() needs the same
> fix (and probably a corresponding documentation update).

Thanks for looking at this.

Looks like there's a few other usages of CountDBBackends() which
require background workers to be counted too, so I ended up creating
CountDBConnections() as I didn't really think adding a bool flag to
CountDBBackends was so nice.

I thought about renaming CountUserBackends() to become
CountUserConnections(), but I've not. Although, perhaps its better to
break any third party stuff that uses that so that authors can review
which behaviour they need rather than have their extension silently
break?

David

Attachment Content-Type Size
connection_limit_ignore_bgworkers_v2.patch application/octet-stream 5.7 KB