Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning
Date: 2018-03-29 11:08:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29 March 2018 at 21:35, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Beside fixing that, I have decided to get rid of the
> PartititionPruneStepOpNe (a special kind of base pruning step that was
> being used to prune list partitions using a set of <> operator clauses)
> and related functions. Instead pruning for <> operator clauses is now
> implemented by using a combination of PartitionPruneStepOp and
> PartitionPruneStepCombine after adding a new combine op COMBINE_INVERT (I
> also renamed COMBINE_OR and COMBINE_AND to COMBINE_UNION and
> COMBINE_INTERSECT, respectively). I decided to do so because the previous
> arrangement looked like a "hack" to support a special case that touched no
> less than quite a few places.

Hi Amit,

I've looked at the v44 patch. Thanks for making those changes.

The new not-equal handling code is not quite right.

DROP TABLE listp;
CREATE TABLE listp (a INT) PARTITION BY LIST(a);
CREATE TABLE listp1_3 PARTITION OF listp FOR VALUES IN(1,3);
CREATE TABLE listp_default PARTITION OF listp DEFAULT;

EXPLAIN SELECT * FROM listp WHERE a <> 1;
QUERY PLAN
Append (cost=0.00..54.56 rows=2537 width=4)
-> Seq Scan on listp1_3 (cost=0.00..41.88 rows=2537 width=4)
Filter: (a <> 1)
(3 rows)

The default should be included here.

INSERT INTO listp VALUES(1),(2),(3);
SELECT * FROM listp WHERE a <> 1;
---
3
(1 row)

This code assumes its fine to just reverse the setting for default:

result->scan_default = !source->scan_default;

More complex handling is needed here.

I've attached a diff for a small set of other things I noticed while reviewing.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v44_drowley_review.patch application/octet-stream 7.5 KB