Re: Excessive memory usage in multi-statement queries w/ partitioning

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Andreas Seltenreich <andreas(dot)seltenreich(at)credativ(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Excessive memory usage in multi-statement queries w/ partitioning
Date: 2019-05-24 13:33:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 00:18, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> wrote:
> I admittedly haven't followed this thread too closely, but if having 100
> partitions causes out of memory on pg11, that sounds like a massive
> regression to me.

For it to have regressed it would have had to once have been better,
but where was that mentioned? The only thing I saw was
non-partitioned tables compared to partitioned tables, but you can't
really say it's a regression if you're comparing apples to oranges.

I think the only regression here is in the documents from bebc46931a1
having removed the warning about too many partitions in a partitioned
table at the end of ddl.sgml. As Amit mentions, we'd like to put
something back about that.