Re: ExplainProperty* and units

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ExplainProperty* and units
Date: 2018-03-14 01:34:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14 March 2018 at 13:27, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> In the attached *POC* patch I've added a 'unit' parameter to the numeric
> ExplainProperty* functions, which EXPLAIN_FORMAT_TEXT adds to the
> output. This can avoid the above and other similar branches (of which
> the JIT patch would add a number).

> Comments?

This seems like a good change. It would be nice to see us completely
get rid of all the appendStringInfo* calls, apart from in the
functions which meant to handle the behaviour specific to the explain
format. This is a step towards that, so has my vote.

Functions like show_hash_info are making it difficult to do more in this area.