Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: Local indexes for partitioned table

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Maksim Milyutin <milyutinma(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: Local indexes for partitioned table
Date: 2017-11-17 12:54:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15 November 2017 at 06:49, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
wrote:

> Here's the remaining bits, rebased.

I wonder if it should be this patches job to alter the code in
get_relation_info() which causes the indexes not to be loaded for
partitioned tables:

/*
* Make list of indexes. Ignore indexes on system catalogs if told to.
* Don't bother with indexes for an inheritance parent, either.
*/
if (inhparent ||
(IgnoreSystemIndexes && IsSystemRelation(relation)))
hasindex = false;
else
hasindex = relation->rd_rel->relhasindex;

A partitioned table will always go into the hasindex = false code path.

I'm kind of thinking this patch should change that, even if the patch is
not making use of the indexes, you could argue that something
using set_rel_pathlist_hook might want to do something there, although,
there's likely a bunch of counter arguments too.

What do you think?